Just been inspired to the taste of Italian, mainly by watching Gino D’Acampo on television. So I grabbed my chopping board and finely chopped the veg and set my Soup Kettle to chunky setting.
I found a lot of tomatoes in my veg box so I grabbed a trio of tomatoes, Black, Yellow and Red, to use them up. This soup is one that I have let the ingredient’s do their thing. The taste, texture and flavour of the vegetables comes through and is the real thing. It could almost be called a “naked soup!”
Approximate Calories: 550 (137 calories per serving – add about 150 calories if you have the cheese and bread)
- 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil (other types of oil will do)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 10-12 small tomatoes, finely chopped (5-6 large tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon of orzo (tiny pasta)
- 3 tablespoons, barley mix (barley 60%, green split peas 20%, yellow split lentils 20%)
- 30 to 40 grams of extra fine beans chopped into short lengths
- 2 knorr beef stock pots (Chicken or Vegetable stockpots will do as well)
- Add hot water to (level 2 in the soupmaker the higher) or 1.2 litres in the pan
- Put all of the ingredients into the soup maker and set to chunky.
- Alternatively put all of the ingredients into the pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 25 minute’s or so then blend when done until chunky.
- For a thinner soup add more water for a thicker soup add less water.
- Optional – Parmesan cheese and crusty bread as desired (cheddar can be used)