I like a challenge and my friend David provided me one. “What can I do with this fair trade Cocoa Powder” he said “It was given to me at Christmas and its full of proteins and is, apparently, really good for you so I want to use it so can we make a soup with it,” he carried on. “Yes of course” I said.
Well we had been having a great afternoon full of conversation, drinking the occasional libation and eating Sunday dinner. I said give me a few days and will see what I can up with. The rest is history…..
Approximate Calories: 784 (196 calories per serving)
- 1 tbsp of rapeseed oil (olive oil will do)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1.5 garlic clove
- 1.5 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 to 2 pinches of ground cayenne (add more or less to make it hotter or cooler)
- 1 tbsp. of cocoa powder
- 1.5 to 2 tins of black beans (El Paso do black beans)
- a handful of chopped fresh coriander (save some for serving)
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen sweetcorn (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 vegetable stockpot
- Add hot water to (level 2 in the soupmaker the lower one)
- Put all ingredients in the soup maker and set to chunky, however for a creamier finish pulse it a few times after the cooking process finishes.
- Alternatively put all of the ingredients into the pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minute’s or so, then blend when done until you have the correct consistency or creaminess for you.
- For a thinner soup add more water, for a thicker soup add less water.
- Optional – save some coriander to serve by sprinkling with fresh chopped coriander