Had some Violetta potatoes in my fridge this week, I remembered a conversation with a friend to create a blue soup, so I experimented with these lovely looking purple potatoes and come up with a very basic soup. The Violette is a specialist variety of potato with a distinctive Blue skin and has Blue flesh inside the potato as well. Its very similar to Salad Blue 1900 ptotato.
As potatoes go they have a delicate sweet flavour, with a slightly floury flesh and they work very well in savoury dishes. They can be used in a mixed mash for a different look. The soup itself come out less colourful than purple, mainly die to the other ingredients, however its is still a delicious and comforting soup. This soup will be coming to work with us tomorrow.
Approximate Calories: 1006 (251 calories per serving)
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil (olive oil will do)
- 4 medium leeks chopped
- 6 violetta purple potatoes chopped
- 2 medium red onions chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 vegetable stockpots
- Add hot water to (level 2 in the soupmaker the lower one)
- Put all ingredients in the soup maker and set to smooth
- Alternatively put all of the ingredients into the pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minute’s or so, then blend when done until smooth.
- For a thinner soup add more water or use level 2 in the soupmaker the higher one, for a thicker soup add less water.