Bank holiday Monday then. Just had a most magnificent light lunch using a Nigel Slater recipe from 2009. It is Ham, Lettuce, Peas, Spring Onions and Broad Beans. It was very tasty but as always there were some leftovers and some cooking liquor to use up.
I just had too!
Click the link for An Extraordinary Way Lettuce recipe
I rooted around my drawers and found some complimentary vegetables to add to my leftovers and began to create a soup for work tomorrow, which of course will need to be tasted today.
Approximate Calories: 671 – 771 (193 – calories per serving
- Any leftovers from the Extraordinary Way with Lettuce recipe (add 100 calories)
If you do not have any leftovers then start from the item below
- 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil (other types of oil will do)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 green pepper
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 6 splashes of Worcester Sauce
- 1 cup of pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable bouillon
- Add hot water to (level 2 in the soupmaker the lower one)
- Put all ingredients in the soup maker and set to chunky.
- Alternatively put all of the ingredients into the pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minute’s or so, then blend when done until chunky.
- For a thinner soup add more water, for a thicker soup add less water.
- (Optional – serve with sliced or crusty bread) don’t forget to add the calories for these if you have them.