Well after an 18 month break due to family issues, work and life in general we are back still soup based but no longer all soupmaker recipes. To start with here is a tomato soup for my Son James, who fell in love with tomato soup on a recent holiday in Sorrento, Italy!
Marcella Hazan was/is my all time favourite Italian cook. Her simple Italian Tomato Sauce is to die for. This soup then is based on that sauce for a classic Italian taste and smoothness.
Approximate Calories: 713 (182.75 calories per serving) including Mozzarella to serve
- 25% of a pack of butter
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 2 tins of whole plum tomatoes (or 800 grams fresh tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- one tin of water
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan
- When the butter has melted add the onions
- Follow immediately with the plum tomatoes and tomato paste
- And then the salt
- Add one tin of water, then bring to the boil and reduce to simmer for 45 minutes
- Add hot water if needed
- Put through a blender to smooth
- Add a ball of Mozzarella to serve
- Parmesan, black pepper and crusty Italian bread on the table if needed
James thought the Tomato Soup was great by the way.