I am again back onto the Soups to try lose more weight. I recently bought another legend title to go with my Curry Legend book, Taco Legend which has given me access to authentic Mexican flavours. These are available at the Spicery.com. So I have been back to the drawing board and come up with this little beauty.
Full of Vegetables, Beans and Basics in a vegan style approach to healthy soups. I have dropped lots of carbs for the moment, not all but most. Bread was my worst guilty pleasure and of course alcohol which goes without saying. Reggie, our dog, is still doing his bit, even as the weather turns cold and the winter is looming over us.
Anyway back to the soup, with my well know love red peppers, chilli and beans I thought why not try a little Mexican styling to the things I like. This soup warming but at the same time fresh and colourful and evokes in me memories of dipping my toes in the Pacific ocean, mostly during the evenings while watching the pelicans flying home from their feeding grounds along the coast.
Approximate Calories: 613 (153.25 calories per serving)
- a generous glug of oil or chilli oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (or paste equivalent) – chopped
- 1 Red onion – chopped
- 2 Peppers (one Red and one Yellow) – chopped
- 1 red chilli (if not using chilli oil and chilli flakes can be used instead of chilli’s)
- 1 400g can of Tomatoes
- 1 400g can of Black eyed beans (Black or Kidney beans can be used)
- 1 large Carrot – chopped
- 1 large Potato – chopped
- 1 tsp of Oregano
- (Re: above if you have Spicery blends then use 1tsp of Oregano Blend & 1 tsp of Chipotle Blend)
- 1 tsp of Cumin
- 300ml of Vegetable stock
- Pepper & Salt to taste
- Put the Oil in the soupmaker (sauté function) or pan and heat
- Place the Onion & Garlic in the soupmaker or pan and sauté for about 3 minutes
- Add the Peppers, Chilli to the soupmaker of pan for a further 3 minutes
- Turn off the sauté function. If using a pan then add ingredient’s to the soupmaker
- Add every thing else into the Soupmaker or pan soup maker and stir
- For the soup maker please ensure it is above the minimum level
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste
- For the Pan cook for at least 30 minutes and blend to your preference
- Set the soupmaker to Chunky, or Smooth, depending on your preference
This soup is a great filler for anytime of the day and if you like your soups with a bit bite add more Chilli oil, chilli’s or chilli flakes.