When we returned from holiday we were determined to eat more healthily, low carbs and more vegetables. So we stocked up with veg and began our campaign of Salads, Vegetables, and Chicken Marlarkys. This soup returns us to the “use up what’s left” style of soup and has turned out to be a crowd pleaser, well Mrs Riley likes it, and that’s okay by me!
My mantra of just chopping, combining, and stirring before cooking remains a mainstay of my approach.
Approximate Calories: 313 (78.25 calories per serving)
- 8 Spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil (other types of oil will do)
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 courgettes peeled and chopped
- 3 large plum tomatoes (1 tin of tomatoes will do)
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 4 tsp of bouillion or other vegetable stock
- 100 grams of Red Lentils
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add hot water to (max level soupmaker) or to cover the vegetables
- Put all ingredients in the soup maker and set to smooth.
- Alternatively, put all of the ingredients into the pan and bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes or so, then blend when done until smooth.
- For a thinner soup add more water, for a thicker soup add less water