What to do? What to do? I found several vegetables squirreled away in the fridge this morning, all a few days out of their sell by date the poor things. I determined there and then to fashion them into a, you’ve guessed it, soup! I still wonder at the human condition as despite all of the controversy going on in the world at the moment, I still find articles in the news about what should and should not be kept in the fridge. Who really cares. When I was a lad we had to keep our milk on the window sill in the hope it wouldn’t go off. My dad even bought a special wire framed basket to keep it in.
Now I use anything that looks okay, doesn’t melt in your hand and does not give off a strange smell. With all the potatoes, leeks, carrots and other ingredients combined I give you my past its sell date soup. Enjoy, I did.
Approximate Calories: 528 (132 calories per serving)
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil (olive oil will do)
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 small carrots chopped
- 2 medium leeks sliced
- 2 large potatoes chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tbsp of oregano
- 3 splashes of Worcester sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken stockpots
- Add hot water to (level 1 in the soupmaker the higher one)
- Put all ingredients in the soup maker and set to smooth
- Alternatively put all of the ingredients into the pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minute’s or so, then blend when done until smooth.
- For a thinner soup add more water, for a thicker soup add less water.
- Optinal (I ate mine with a toasted bagel, and a splash of Encona hot pepper sauce)